Positions reports to Head Drilling Engineering. To provide technical and specialist advice on all aspects related to directional drilling and to act as focal point for Directional Drilling contracts.
- Provide specialist technical input to Drilling Operations on directional drilling and the update of the Drilling Reference Manual (DRM) to ensure safe and efficient drilling performance and the minimum impairment of reservoirs in an economic and environmentally acceptable manner.
- Act as the contract holder for the Directional Drilling contracts to ensure that the contract is implemented in accordance with CLIENT standards and requirements and that corrective action is taken by the contractor in the event of problems or poor performance.
- Provide troubleshooting and problem solving advise during drilling and completion operations to ensure timely corrective actions are taken.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on the implementation of new developments (techniques, chemicals, products etc.) in directional drilling developments.
- Maintain the anti-collision model and procedures. Utilize drilling software to assist the planning and implementation of well design and execution of drilling operations.
- Monitor and manage data on costs and technical performance of drilling and completion fluids and techniques. Report findings, lessons learnt and document successes / failures in technical report.
- Ensure full compliance with Corporate, Directorate and Departmental QHSE policies and procedures. Set a clear leadership example to promote a high degree of Quality, Health, Safety and Environment awareness. Ensure that process safety and personal safety requirements are full understood and implemented by the contractor and by operational staff.
- Assist in technical and HSE audits/inspections as required by management ensure contractors / suppliers comply with CLIENT regulations / requirements.
- Identify the need for contract variations for equipment, materials and services not covered under the contract. Initiate variations and ensure variations are completed in time.
- Manage operational and QHSE performance of contractor by coordinating biannual Service Quality Meetings (SQM) to review the performance, monitor follow up of recommendations and proper close out of findings.
Roles and responsibilities
The incumbent works in accordance with CLIENT Policies and the Drilling Reference Manual and broad guidance from the Assistant Manager – Drilling Engineering (DRE). The incumbent is empowered to:
- Review and update the DRM standards and procedures relating to Directional Drilling.
- Provide troubleshooting and problem solving advice during drilling operations.
- Evaluate and recommend on implementation of new technology.
- Monitor and manage data on costs, technical and HSE performance.
- Ensure full compliance with Corporate and Departmental QHSE policies and procedures.
Context / Special Features / Challenges
This is a specialist engineering position involving the resolution of problems across a range of drilling and completion operations. Some examples are:
- To evaluate and implement new developments in the directional drilling area and utilize drilling software to evaluate and optimize performance.
- To develop maintaining the anti-collision model and procedures.
- To assist as required to carry out detailed mechanical design of wells.
- To evaluate and recommend drilling, testing, completion, workover and rig equipment techniques and technology.
- To highlight and recommend techniques, procedures and equipment to improve the safety, efficiency and cost effectiveness of current or proposed operations and projects.
BSc. in Petroleum, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related Engineering discipline, plus relevant drilling industry courses.
8 years drilling experience with considerable exposure to directional drilling.
- Fluent in written and spoken English Language.
- Innovative with the ability to challenge conventional methods and capacity to drive through new initiatives.
- Strong analytical and commercial skills, able to identify opportunities and set priorities to achieve business results.
|Job Category||Engineering, Oil and Gas|